Amatsukami Scions of Honolulu
A Letter of Import
In the American tradition I shall dispense with the formalities and courtesies that are my due and move brusquely to the point. My name is Amaterasu, though many of the young gods have taken to calling me Amy. I concede the nickname to you as a sign of affection and endearment. However I urge you never to speak of me without sufficient respect. I am the glory, your shield and sword against the barbarous Asgardians and Olympians that taint the American people with their vile and loathsome presence. You have likely run afoul of many of the gods of calamity or my troublesome brothers and may foolishly believe that my ire would be less of a bother than their attentions. Dissuade yourself from that fallacy. My wroth is incomparable. The world burned at my slightest effort as I sent the oafish Zeus and swindler Odin scurrying back to their lairs. Soon I will drive them from our new shores entirely.
I digress. The purpose of this letter is to cordially inform and congratulate you. Your childhood is nearly at an end. It is my custom to allow the young considerable leeway in coming to terms with their powers. Children cannot be expected to behave as adults after all. By now you may know much of Takamagahara (The Far Shore) and my court, but at the risk of veering verbose I shall explain in some detail the future that is in store for you.
First, your life on Earth is nearing a close. You will visit it often, but soon you must take up a life in the lands of everlasting sunlight. Before you become a demigod it has become something of a tradition for aspiring gods to serve the Amatsukami in the Bureau of Destiny. Directly influencing mortals to proceed along cultural conduits we deem appropriate. The Bureau of Destiny is divided into five different Departments to better focus their efforts;
• The Golden Barque of Heaven (Journeys) – Agents of the Golden Barque deal with the connections between people and locations. Communications, trade, travel, and even road construction all help tie the threads of America together and strengthen their social integrity.
• The Cerulean Lute of Harmony (Serenity) – Agents of the Cerulean Lute promote such concepts as health, pleasure, job satisfaction, happiness, and sexual expression.
• The Crimson Panoply of Victory (Battles) – Agents of the Crimson Panoply intervene in matters involving conflict and violence, including assassinations, brawls, and of course wars.
• Forbidding Manse of Ivy (Secrets) – Agents of the Forbidding Manse are the secret keepers. Peerless savants who seek to preserve a tradition of scholarship and mastery of science, philosophy, craftsmanship, and history. In addition to their role as preservers they must occasionally act as seekers.
• The Violet Bier of Sorrows (Death) – Agents of the Violet Bier ensure that endings occur at the preordained time. Not only mortals fall under the purview of the Violet Bier, Nations, ideas, perspectives… even plagues must end.
Unfortunately, there are currently over twenty scions and hundreds of beings of legend of the appropriate age. Majority of you who do not meet my expectations will be denied full godhood and sorted into either the Terrestrial Bureaucracy (Small Gods) or the Pit of Calamity (demons).