Amatsukami Scions of Honolulu
Languages in scion
Rather than deal with the hundreds of languages on Earth, Scions are so gifted that they learn entire language families at a time, they even gain understanding of the “extinct” branches of the language family. Players begin knowing one language family and gain one additional for each dot of Academics they possess.
- Northern and Baltic Germanic- Norse (Extinct), Danish, Swedish, Icelandic, Lithuanian
- West German- English, Modern German, Dutch, Yiddish
Amatsukami- The gods of the Far East Asian peoples.
- Austronesian- Malay, Javanese, Filipino, Hawaiian, Samoan, Tongan
- Japonic- Proto-Japonic (extinct), Emishi (Extinct), Japanese, Dozens of tribal Ryukyuan languages. Korean, Jeju, Hokaido Ainu
- Semitic- Akkadian (extinct), Arabic, Hebrew
- Mesopotamian- Sumerian (Extinct)
- Turkic- (There are thirty five languages in the turkic family, spoken across Anotolia, the northern Middle East, the balkans and into china, southern russia and siberia.)
- Hellenic- Ancient Greek (Extinct), Greek
- Itallic (Romance)- Spanish, Portuguese, Italian, French, Romanian, Latin (extinct)
Bogovoi- the Gods of the Slavs.
- Eastern Slavic- Old East Slavic (extinct), Old Novgorod (extinct), Ruthenian (extinct), Belarusian, Russian, Ukrainian, Rusyn, Nivkh, Proto-Siberian (extinct),
- West & Southern Slavic- Czech, Polish, Old Polish (extinct), Sorbian, Bulgarian, Macedonian, Croatian
- Indo-Aryan: (Languages of Northern India and Pakistan)- Hindi, Punjabi
- Dravidian: (Languages of Southern India)
- Egyptian- Archiac Egyptian (extinct), Coptic (Extinct)
- Sudanic- Nubian, Central Sudanic, Eastern Sudanic
- Nilo-Saharan- Songhay, Saharan
*Bantu- Shona, Swahili, Zulu
- Volta-Niger- Igbo, Yoruba, Haitian Creole, dozens of others
Shen – The gods of China, Mongolia, and Tibet.
- Chinese- Mandarin, Cantonese, Wu (Shanghai)
- Burmese-Tibetic- Burmese, Tibetan, vietnamese (south east asian languages)
- Uto Aztecan: Nahuatl (Aztec),
- Northern Tribes- Eastern and Western Shoshone, Comanche, Paiute, Hopi
- Goidelic- Irish Gaelic, Scottish Gaelic
- Brittonic- Welsh, Breton
- Iranian languages: Persian-Farsi, Kurdish, Pashto
Accent: Characters naturally have accents. Identifying an accent requires a Perception + Academics roll vs the targets flat Manipulation and their epic successes. If you match the the number or are above the halfway point of the DC you are aware that the target has an accent but cannot place it. If the targets defense is beaten then the native language and rough area where they are from is revealed. If the target’s defense is beaten by more than the targets raw manipulation score then you can identify not only where they are from but likely places they’ve spent a considerable amount of time.
(ie Arthur is talking to Kai Kea in Japanese. Kai kea has a perception of 3 and an Academics of 2. While Arthur has a total of defense of 5. If Kai gets half or more than 1/2 of 5 (3 successes required). He could identify that arthur has an accent and that Japanese wasn’t his first language, but couldn’t identify his native tongue. If he rolled a 6, Kai could identify arthur as being a native speaker of American english. If he rolled a 9 Kai could identify that arthur grew up in hawaii and from his pronunciation that he likely spoke spanish as well.