Olympus by Night
Languages in scion
Rather than deal with the hundreds of languages on Earth, Scions are so gifted that they learn entire language families at a time, they even gain understanding of the “extinct” branches of the language family. Players begin knowing one language family and gain one additional for each dot of Academics they possess.
These are the language families of the world. Scions are partially capable with the divine gift of tongues, allowing them to understand and speak all languages within the language family of the languages they speak. For example, a speaker of English knows all of the West Germanic languages as well, allowing him to speak German and Dutch fluently. Each dot of Academics grants a scion an additional language family to speak fluently.
I. Afrikaaner – Afrikaaner, Fulani, Nilotic.
· Spoken in the South of Africa. Pushed out by the New Netjer and spoken mostly by the rebels that oppose their new Empire.
II. Akkadian – Akkadian (Babylonian), Hebrew, Egyptian.
· Spoken by Egyptians and by Jews across the world. It is the primary language family of the New Netjer, but it is also spoken by the few descendants of Babylon.
III. Bantu – Tonga, Kongo, Xhosa, Zulu.
· Spoken in the central African nations, including all of the former holdings of the Orisha – most notably the holdout nation of Wakanda.
IV. Guinean – Yoruba, Kru, Ibo, Ashanti.
· Spoken in West Africa, most prominently Ghana and the Ivory Coast. Many of these nations had mass evacuations to the Pillars of Hercules after its founding.
V. Semitic – Arabic, Aramaic, Pashto.
· The most widely spoken African languages, spoken across North Africa and the Middle East and into reaches of Asia, like Afghanistan and Pakistan. The original natives of the Pillars of Hercules spoke Arabic.
VI. Aleut – Inuit, Iroquoian, Apache, Algic, Cheyenne.
· The vast majority of Native American languages fall here. They are mostly extinct, but it is still spoken by some sub-groups like the Cult of the Coyote.
VII. Mayan – Ch’ol, Yucatec, Q’eqchi’, K’iche’, Tzeltal, Tzotzil.
· One of the South American language families, spoken primarily by the Mayans, before they fell to the Aztec Empire. The Teotl consider this many of these languages holy and try to curtail its use by mortals by force and sacrament, though it is frequently spoken by their gods.
VIII. Tupian – Tupi, Guarani, Yuruna.
· Spoken in the far south of South America, a dying language tree. It is, however, the primary language of the natives and lower classes of McMurdo Station.
IX. Uto – Hopi, Ute, Aztecan, Shoshona, Pipil, Quechuan.
· The primary language tree of the mortal Aztec peoples. Several Native American tribes, especially in the South and West of the former United States, use this language tree as well though these dialects have mostly been rendered extinct. It is experiencing a revival of sorts, though most Teotl people favor the Iberian languages.
X. Austronesian – Malaysian, Javanese, Tagalog, Maori, Hawaiian.
· Spoken by the Polynesia cultures across the Pacific Ocean. The primary language of what remains of the Maui and Maori pantheons.
XI. Dravidian – Telugu, Urdu, Malayalam, Kannada.
· Spoken primarily in the South of India by what remains of the people there. Their territory is mostly a No Man’s Land in the Ragnarok War and their languages are severely endangered.
XII. Indic – Hindustani, Bengali, Punjabi.
· Formerly the language of the Deva pantheon; now spoken by a large minority within the New Netjer after the Oath of Nemo merged the two pantheons.
XIII. Japonic – Japanese, Ryukyuan, Korean.
· The primary language of the Amatsukami and their followers. Spoken widely across Japan and their various territories, including California and the surrounding area.
XIV. Khitan – Mongol, Daur.
· Spoken by the native people of Mongolia and the Siberian Steppe. It is the preferred language of the Bogovi goddess, Marzannie.
XV. Khmer-Kadai – Vietnamese, Khmer, Thai, Kra.
· Spoken widely in the Thai peninsula before its conquering by the Japanese. Under the command of the Amatsukami, they have begun to invade the nation of Australia, giving the languages significant presence there.
XVI. Sino-Tibetan – Chinese, Burmese.
· Spoken in China. It is technically the most widely spoken language within the Amatsukami, but Japanese is spoken among all of the upper echelons of their culture.
XVII. Altaic – Turkish, Azerbaijani, Uzbek, Kazakh, Kurdish.
· Spoken in Turkey, Uzbekistan and the surrounding regions. Some Bogovi worshippers speak these languages and it was the primary language of the Yazata before their destruction at the hands of the Augustin.
XVIII. Baltic – Latvian, Lithuanian, Prussian.
· Spoken in the Baltic states on Southern Europe. Formerly held by the Bogovi, they are now completely dominated by the Augustin.
XIX. Celtic – Welsh, Irish, Gaelic.
· The primary language of the Tuatha. Spoken extensively by its gods and is undergoing a revival of sorts within the Pillars of Hercules community.
XX. Germanic – English, German, Dutch.
· English is perhaps the most widely spoken language in the world and spoken extensively by people in Europe, America and Australia. If there is a universal trade or conference language, English is it. These are also the primary languages of the Augustin people, though the clergy and the gods tend to speak Latin.
XXI. Greek – Greek.
· Spoken on the Hellenic Peninsula. Overtaken and wiped out by the Augustin, Greek is rarely spoken by humanity anymore. Despite this, many of the ancient monsters, like centaurs and satyrs, speak a version of Greek.
XXII. Romantic – Latin, French, Italian, Romanian.
· The primary languages of the Augustin gods, spoken in France and Italy and across the New Holy Roman Empire, though more of the mortal population chooses to speak the Germanic languages.
XXIII. Lechitic – Polish, Serbian, Czech, Slovak, Bosnian, Croatian.
· Spoken in the very west of Russia and the east of Europe. Now conquered by the Augustin, many Lechitic speakers refusing to convert fled to the Pillars of Hercules.
XXIV. Iberian – Spanish, Portugese.
· Another very widely spoken language, Iberian languages originated on the Iberian Peninsula, but did not thrive there. Some Iberian speakers fled to the Pillars of Hercules after the Augustin banned the language after an event known as Red Tuesday. Most speakers of the Iberian languages live in Central and Southern America. Large numbers of Teotl worshippers speak Iberian languages.
XXV. Scandinavian – Norwegian, Danish, Swedish, Icelandic.
· The primary language of the Aesir, still spoken by populations in the Scandinavian countries and within the Aesir communities at the Pillars of Hercules.
XXVI. Slavic – Russian, Ukrainian, Bulgarian, Macedonian.
· The primary language of the Bogovi and its people; spoken in the vast majority of Russia and the smaller Slavic countries.
XXVII. Uralic – Hungarian, Finnish, Estonian.
· The secondary languages of the Aesir, spoken by fringe members of their community and formerly in Finland and Hungary. Many worshippers of Loki speak the languages and use it to communicate without alerting the other Aesir.
XXVIII. Kinesic – ASL, BSL, other sign languages.
· Languages spoken by the deaf communities around the world.
NOTE: Creole languages, for the sake of simplicity despite its inaccuracy, can be understood by those who speak EITHER of the languages involved, rather than both. Thus, Spanglish can be understood by anyone who speaks Germanic (English) or Iberian (Spanish); Haitian Creole can be understood by anyone who speaks Romantic (French) or Guinean; and so on and so forth.
Please be sure to pick your native language out of your language tree. This determines your natural accent when speaking. Perceptive listeners can decode both your non-native speaker status and potentially your point of origin or residence based on your accent. Accents can be hidden or faked with a Manipulation roll, based on either your Etiquette or Streetwise ability depending on the situation.
Accent: Characters naturally have accents. Identifying an accent requires a Perception + Academics roll vs the targets flat Manipulation and their epic successes. If you match the the number or are above the halfway point of the DC you are aware that the target has an accent but cannot place it. If the targets defense is beaten then the native language and rough area where they are from is revealed. If the target’s defense is beaten by more than the targets raw manipulation score then you can identify not only where they are from but likely places they’ve spent a considerable amount of time.
(ie Arthur is talking to Kai Kea in Japanese. Kai kea has a perception of 3 and an Academics of 2. While Arthur has a total of defense of 5. If Kai gets half or more than 1/2 of 5 (3 successes required). He could identify that arthur has an accent and that Japanese wasn’t his first language, but couldn’t identify his native tongue. If he rolled a 6, Kai could identify arthur as being a native speaker of American english. If he rolled a 9 Kai could identify that arthur grew up in hawaii and from his pronunciation that he likely spoke spanish as well.